Civil engineering is an engineering discipline covering broad subject areas: design and construction of safe and reliable infrastructure, creation of comfortable and sustainable cities, solutions for environmental issues, and technologies in disaster prevention and mitigation. Department of Civil Engineering consists of a number of sub-disciplines such as structural mechanics, material science, fluid mechanics, geotechnical engineering, environmental engineering, planning and management. The purposes of the department are to foster professionals and researchers having problem solving skills with global and local perspectives and practical application of fundamental knowledge.
The International Undergraduate Program of Civil Engineering invites applicants who:
- Understand fundamentals of mathematics, physics and chemistry.
- Have sufficient English proficiency and information literacy.
- Are motivated to study actively and make great effort to academic activities.
- Have communication skills and cooperative attitude for cross-cultural understanding.
Civil engineering is a discipline, in which one can learn technological knowhow related to creation of beautifully affluent area, preservation and restoration of natural environment, historical or cultural heritages, recycling of natural resources, maintenance/management of infrastructures indispensable for citizens’ lifestyle and mitigation of natural disasters.
The purposes of the department are to foster professionals and researchers, who have problem solving skills from global environmental perspectives, and are capable of applying various fundamental knowledge into practice. For that purpose, the curriculum has been developed with following policies.
Purpose of education
- Developing human resources with outstanding personality and ethics by acquiring education with broader perspectives towards society and global environment
- Acquire basic knowledge as well as practical knowledge of the specialized subjects, so that as civil engineers various problems can be addresses appropriately.
- Develop ability to design for creating a better society through integration of specialized knowledge and intelligence.
- Acquire basic knowledge, leadership ability, communication power, management ability, which act as the driving forces for engineers in the globalized society.
A. Knowledge and Understanding
- Able to explain the natural phenomenon including disasters, behaviors of structures and their design methods based on the knowledge of structural mechanics, geomechanics and hydraulics.
- Able to explain the relationship between natural environment and human/social activities or environmental cleanup /regeneration technology based on the knowledge of environmental science.
- Able to explain the roles of rivers and ports, characteristics of waves, water processing technology based on the knowledge of hydrology, river engineering, coastal engineering and water resources engineering.
- Able to explain the general characteristics of various types of construction materials and methods for maintenance of existing structures utilizing the knowledge of construction materials and construction management/maintenance.
- Be able to explain the roles and structures of public works, characteristics of transportation system, urban and regional planning system based on the knowledge of planning.
B. Skills and other attributes
B-1. Specialized ability
- Able to apply the basic knowledge of mathematics and natural sciences to engineering problems.
- Able to discover problem and find its solution, through integration and application of specialized knowledge acquired.
- Able to explain to others, through proper organization, analysis and interpretation of test/monitored data, by applying the knowledge of statistical analysis or theory of information processing.
- Acquire the skills of understanding and power of expression in English related to the specialized disciplines.
B-2. Transferable Skills
- Understand the role of engineering towards the society and acquire the ability to return to the society.
- Develop the skills required for composition of report, presentation, discussion and consensus building.
- Able to judge the essence of a given problem and explore methods for the solution.
- Able to excel in global society through proper training of the power of expression and communication.
C. Status and Values to Society
- As civil engineer, possess strong motivation to contribute towards a sustainable growth of the society.
- Broader understanding on cutting edge technical and non-technical knowledge, and formulate solution to the problems from higher perspectives.
- Have strong motivation to elevate the international stature of oneself by trying to understand different cultures, customs, political and social values.
- Understand the traditions of civil engineering department of Kyushu University, and possess strong will to inherit those and actively take part towards its advancement.